Water and Climate Program
Products and Services Briefing Book
Unified Climate Access Network (UCAN)
UCAN is a consortium of federal and state agencies that have joined
together to unify access and availability of climate data and information
for natural resource management.
UCAN will provide users with "virtual access" via the
Internet to climate datasets collected by federal, state, and county
networks. UCAN will provide a networked computer and data storage
infrastructure that will allow users to access climate information faster,
easier, and more efficiently than previously possible.
In addition to new datasets, users will be able to run a wide variety
of climate applications specifically tailored to meet their needs. These
include, but are not limited to, statistical averages,frequency analyses,
spatial mapping, risk analyses, and modeling applications that require
specialized climatic information.
- Provide national leadership in climate technology.
- Support a national, on-line climate database accessible via the
- Provide appropriate climatic data and analysis products directly
supported by the on-line database.
- Provide a seamless, national distribution network for climatic
products via the Internet.
- Provide error free, serially complete, spatially representative and
timely climatic data.
- Provide training, educational materials and workshops to improve the
use of climatic information in all sectors of the user community.
Table of Contents