Select Predefined Reports
This tutorial shows how to work with predefined reports in Report Generator.
There are two types of predefined reports:
- Data Reports.
These reports are based on several standard elements (such as precipitation
or snow depth), values, and time
- Metadata Reports.
These reports are based on current and historic sensor data and site
This tutorial uses the set of the Data Reports and Metadata Reports that are available in the current
release of Report Generator. Your version of Report Generator may have
additional reports available.
The tutorial consists of three, short lessons:
- Lesson 1
shows how to display the different predefined Data Reports in the View
- Lesson 2
shows how to take the results in the View Reports pane and save them
to a .csv (comma-separated value) file for further analysis.
- Lesson 3
shows how to quickly change the layout of a single station Data Report from
tabular view to chart view.
Lesson 1: View Report
- Start Report Generator.
- Select the Create/Modify Report tab.
- Choose the station. In the Enter station(s) field, enter the following station ID: 526.
- Station 526, Hogg Pass, will be added to the Selected Stations list. When a station is added, the View Station Information link appears in the upper left corner of the application.
- Select the View Station Information link. The Station View panel will open, displaying the station name, station metadata (such as Network, County, Elevation, Latitude, and Longitude), a site photo and a link to the site in Google Maps.
- From the Station View pane, hover over the the Reports dropdown list and select Standard Sensors-Hourly.
- Next, select Daily Accumulated Precipitation Averages from the Reports dropdown list. The
data changes to reflect average accumulated precipitation at the site for the last 12 months.
Try the remaining selections in the Reports dropdown list to see
what’s available. You may also want to use the Time Period dropdown to modify the frequency and time period selections for the report.
Lesson 2: Export Data
This lesson uses components in the View Report tab to take the data from
the Standard Sensors-Daily report and save it to a .csv (comma-separated
value) file for further
Go to the Reports dropdown list and select Standard Sensors-Daily.
The predefined report displays.
In the View Report tab, select CSV from the Output Format dropdown menu..
A web page will open with the data from the report displayed.
- Right click on this web page and select Save as.....
- Save the file with a .csv extension.
Lesson 3: Change from Standard to Chart Layout
The ability to change from Standard (tabular) to Chart Layout is available for
single station reports only.
This lesson uses the Layout dropdown menu in the View Report tab
to change the display of the Standard Sensors-Daily report from tabular
to line chart view.
- If not already there, go to the Reports dropdown list and select
Standard Sensors-Daily. The predefined report displays in the View
- In the View Report tab, select Chart (Single station only)
from the Layout dropdown list.
- The report will change to chart format.
This completes the Select Predefined Reports tutorial.
- To save the chart, select Export Chart as Image.
- Right click on the image, select Save Image As... and save the
file to a graphics format, such as .png or .jpg.
- To return to tabular format, select Standard from the Layout