January 15, 2014 - Implementation of
new Air-Water Database (AWDB) network codes is scheduled for Tuesday, January 21, 2014. NRCS
stations will be assigned to a network based on
sensor criteria and data collection
objectives. These changes apply only to NRCS-managed stations. Most stations
will remain assigned to network=SNTL (SNOTEL).
Report Generator users who
currently retrieve data for the
stations using network=SNTL will no longer receive data following implementation of the network
code reassignments on January 21, 2014. Therefore, some bookmarked
reports may not return all the expected data. Reports created in Report
Generator must use new
network codes to return data
for these stations.
To summarize the
scope of the reassignment:
~210 stations (207 active)
will be reassigned from network=SNTL to network=SCAN.
~30 (all active) stations
will be reassigned from network=SNTL to network=SNTLT.
~10 stations will be reassigned from
network=SNTL to network=OTHER.
Complete list of
For more information or
questions, please contact Gus
Release 1.3 - June 2014
- Fixed a defect that significantly reduces the delay when switching from the 'View Report' tab to the 'Create/Modify Report 'tab when lots of stations are selected.
- Modified the 'View Station Information' panel so that the images are only loaded when a user navigates to the site. This significantly reduces the time to load the page when the 'View Station Information' panel is displayed. This also significantly reduces the number of hits to the Google Maps API so that users don't exceed their daily limit on the number of hits that they are allowed for the Google Maps API.
- Modified the application so that when users switch between the 'Create/Modify Report' and the 'View Report' tabs, a progress dialog is displayed. This lets users know that the page is still loading and prevents users from entering information and then losing that information they've entered when the page finally loads.
- Fixed defect that was causing empty rows to show up at the beginning of a report when using the Calendar Year or Water Year Group By Month layouts.
- Fixed defect that was causing users to see the 'Cannot create report - no data found' message while a report was loading.
- Added a checkbox called 'Fit Chart to Screen' on the 'View Report' tab. If this checkbox is check (the default), the chart will resize to the browser width. If the checkbox is unchecked, the chart will be a fixed size and will not resize as the browser window is resized.
- Modified the legend in charts so that the series names are word wrapped with a maximum of 30 characters per line.
- Removed the buffer from the y-axis of charts so that if the data starts at 0 the chart will now start at 0.
- Units are no longer displayed in the "% of" columns.
- Changed the location of the tooltips that popup when you hover over the points in a chart so that the tooltip is displayed in the top-right of the point instead of top-left. This prevents the tooltip from getting cut off when hovering over the first point in a chart.
- Renamed the 'Generate Report' button to 'View Report' to be consistent with the 'View Report' tab.
Release 1.2 - May 2014
- When using Internet Explorer, the pages now render correctly when Compatibility View is OFF, but may no longer work correctly when Compatibility View is enabled.
- Changed the user interface components to a different vendor. The new interface looks and feels very similar, but is slightly different. This should help background processing performance.
- Changed charting implementation to add features and improve usability. The following charting features were added:
- Users can hover over the series to display the exact value, series name, and date of the value.
- If multiple series are plotted, users can toggle any of the series on or off by clicking on the series name in the legend.
- The width of the chart automatically adjusts to fit the browser width as the browser width is resized.
- Charts can be exported to an image (charts are converted to an image and displayed in a window when the "Export Chart As Image" button is pressed. Users can then right-click on the image to save the image).
- Added a button with some 'Help' information about charting.
- Added the ability to zoom into a specific area of a chart (by clicking on chart and drawing a rectangle around the area to be zoomed. Reset zoom by double-clicking anywhere on the chart).
- Added an indeterminate progress bar on the Advanced Search screen that will display while a search is pending.
- Added a status indicator in the bottom right corner of the screen that will show up indicate whenever the application is waiting for some background processing to complete.
- Added the ability to time slice across multiple durations (for example, an hourly report can be narrowed to only view data for 1 or more specific months, days, and/or hours).
- Added support for requesting water year PRCP normals.
- Now filters the list of selectable Depth options based on what is available for the selected site(s) and element.
- On the View Report tab, eliminated paging, and instead replaced it with an option to fit the table to the screen. This sizes the table based on the browser size, and freezes the header row and makes the table a scrolling table.
- On the View Report tab, changed the output formats so that they are in a menu like all of the other options instead of having icons that change based on which formats are available.
- Hourly data now obeys the same rules as daily+ data with regard to shifting summary data (such as TMAX) to the correct interval.
- No longer performs precision rounding prior to converting data to requested units.
- Delta column headers now specify units.
- Group by layouts now always have month headers across the top, even if there is only 1 data column.
- Added month/day/hour information to report headers.
- Replaced 'Last 3 Months' option with 'Last Month' option.
- 'Current Year' and 'Current Water Year' selections now generate a report for dates up to the end of the water year rather than halting on today's date. This allows always viewing a full year's worth of entries when normal data is requested.
- Prevented crashes due to trying to request reports using hourly normals/averages/medians, which don't exist.
- Fixed defect causing functions on normals to only return Jan results.
- Fixed metadata only reports sometimes incorrectly being blocked by the max report size check.
- Fixed a layout issue where the site image and related station information was not rendering correctly in Chrome browsers.
- Fixed defect resulting in some water year reports displaying 1 year more data than requested.
- Fixed defect that sometimes caused group by period of record layouts to not start on the expected month.
- Fixed layout issue when using a 'Previous Year's Value' column.
- Fixed defect that was preventing the ability to plot any of the "% of" columns such as "% of Normal".
Release 1.1 - February 2014
Improved performance when searching for and removing stations.
Sorting the selected station list will now also sort the Station
Removed the Group Element by Month layout (which used the begin
date and sometimes created unexpected month ordering) and replaced it
with two, new fixed-format group by month layouts:
Water Year - Group by Month, which will always format the report
output to begin in October and display by water year.
Calendar Year - Group by Month, which will always format the
report output to begin in January and display by calendar year.
Bookmarked group by URLs will continue to work for now and will create
water year layouts.
Fixed several defects in water year requests causing missing data for
several elements or data that was returned 1 year off.
Fixed a defect in requesting deltas and prior values for elements with a
depth causing no data to be returned.
Release 1.0 - September 2013
Modified how the reports are generated to significantly improve
performance (for everything except charts. Chart performance will be
enhanced in a future release). PDF output had to be removed (except for
charts) because the technology used to generate the newer reports
doesn't support PDF output.
Significantly improved the performance of reports that include columns
where a function is used.
The list of available networks and their stations is now database-driven
and certain stations have moved (SCAN stations are now under SCAN
instead of SNOTEL).
Changed the look and feel of the rendered reports to better match the
Added paging to the reports. This improves performance and gives users
the option to view data in small chunks.
Modified the CSV output so that instead of prompting the user to save a
file, it just opens the CSV output in a separate browser window. Users
can save to a file by using the browser's save-as option.
Column headings for element names now come from the database.
Added the 'Period of Record' option when selecting a 'Time Period'.
Added the ability to change the duration and/or time period on the view
Added the metadata columns 'Start Date', 'End Date', 'Network Code' and
Added the ability to remove sites from a query based search. So, now if
you go to 'Advanced Search' and search for all 'SNOTEL' sites in 'OR',
after you click the search button, you can still remove individual
sites. The sites that are removed get excluded from the search criteria.
Added a new View Station Information panel at the top of the page. When
expanded, this panel displays site metadata, a site image and Googlemap
view (if available) for the currently selected station, and links to
common reports for this type of station (for example a SNOTEL site will
have links to the standard sensors and snow depth reports available on
the site pages).
Data for observed streamflow now always comes from the AWDB database
instead of directly fetching it from USGS.
Delta columns no longer show a missing value as the first value; the
first value will be skipped and the first delta value will be shown.
Fixed the bug where the current day's hourly data would not be shown
when "Custom" dates were chosen.
Fixed the bug where monthly normals would be missing when the start
month was greater than the end month (for example, if you had asked for
monthly normals 2011-12-01 to 2013-01-01, you would've only got values
for Dec 2011, Jan 2012, Dec 2012, and Jan 2013).
Fixed bug that prevented running metadata-only reports and removed the
inapplicable date column.
Added a check to make sure that if a "custom" date range is used, that
both the custom begin and end dates are supplied.
Removed PII fields from the user feedback form.
Changed how the 'Group Elements by Month' layout is implemented so that
it essentially runs the 'Standard' layout report and then reformats the
data afterwards. This prevents errors where the data in the 'Group
Elements by Month' layout might have been different from the values in
the report when the 'Standard' layout was chosen. This also improves the
performance of reports using this layout.
Removed "beta" from the URL. Bookmarked URLs with "beta" in them will
continue to work for now - but this support may be removed in a future
BETA 5 Update 1 - December 2012
Renamed the station metadata attribute 'Basin Name' to 'HUC Name'
Added a new station metadata attribute called 'HUD' that returns the
8-digit HUC of the station (which might be different than the 1st
8-digits of the HUC attribute because the 8-digit HUC was based on the
Hydrologic Unit Dataset and the 12-digit HUC is based on the Watershed
Fixed a bug that was preventing retrieval of snow depth data when a
Snotel station has a snow depth sensor, but didn't have a snow water
equivalent sensor (such as an automated aerial marker).
Fixed a bug in the retrieval of snow depth data for Snotel sites so that
it correct applies the data rule that sets the snow depth value to zero
if the snow water equivalent value is zero
BETA 5 - November 2012
Added charting support for a single station. This is implemented as a
new layout called 'Chart' that allows creating a line graph of the data
that is selected.
Added a 'Layout' menu on the 'View Report' page that allows users to
toggle between the various layouts quickly and easily.
Modified the user interface to select data columns by combining the
element (which was physical element) and function into just a list of
elements. This expands the list of elements to map one-to-one to an
element in the AWDB database and allows us to introduce a new 'Function'
list where Report Generator will apply a function to the selected data.
Implemented basic function calculations. There are currently 4 functions
supported - Sum, Mean, Max, and Min. When a function is selected, a
'Function Interval' list will display a list of intervals where the user
must select the interval over which the function should be applied. For
example, you can now do things such as calculate the minimum of the
daily TMAX values for each month, or for the year.
Modified the 'Advanced Search' screen to allow searching by DCO using
the 'State' field. Now if you enter the name of a DCO, such as ORDCO or
IDDCO in the 'State' field, you can search for sites whose jurisdiction
is under that DCO.
Fixed a bug where retrieval of monthly SWE or Precipitation normals was
not working when the layout was set to 'Group By Element'
Modified the report titles so that they no longer include the name of
Modified the report titles so that the name of the state and the name of
the site is mixed case instead of being all capitalized.
Fixed a bug where the '% of' value types were not working correctly for
1981-2010 normals. The column headers were not displayed correctly and
regardless of whether % of Normal, % of Average, or % Of Median was
selected, it was always calculating % of Normal.
Modified the 'Manage Selected Columns' table so that when a metadata
column is selected, the same name is displayed in the 'Data Type' column
of the table instead of showing a code that is used internally be the
Modified the metadata columns so that the header for the metadata
columns match the names used to select the metadata columns
Fixed a bug in the retrieval of hourly data (only Snotel temperature and
other data that is by default in metric units in Snotel was affected).
If you had requested the same data more than once in the same report,
only the first set of numbers was correct.
Added the ability to retrieve the 1971-2000 Normals.
Split the 'Annual' frequency into 'Water Year' and 'Calendar Year'. This
allows users to select the type of annual data they want in a report.
In the "Time Period" list, renamed "Water Year" to "Current Water Year"
and renamed "Calendar Year" to "Current Calendar Year"
Added default selections for 'Last 3 Years' and 'Last 5 Years' for the
two annual frequencies.
Added the ability to choose between English and Metric units. Also added
a menu called "Units" on the 'View Report' tab that allows toggling
between English and Metric units.
Added validation error messages for custom dates. If the date is in the
incorrect format, a message is now displayed.
Modified the date format for custom dates so that it is dependent on the
frequency selected. For now, everything is 'yyyy-MM-dd' except for
'Water Year' and 'Calendar Year' which is 'yyyy' which makes it more
intuitive for users to just enter the year when running annual reports.
BETA 4 - August 2012
Modified the advanced station search screen to allow searching for
stations by the elements that it has. The search-by-element feature can
be used together with the other search criteria.
Moved the feedback button to top-right of screen, above tabs so that it
can be clicked when entering report parameters or when viewing a report
Fixed a bug that was occurring when creating a report with multiple
stations for semi-monthly data and using the Standard layout.
Huge performance improvement when requesting large amounts of data
Fixed bug where you couldn't filter stations by maximum elevation
BETA 3 - June 2012
Added the ability to retrieve the normals for 1981-2010
Modified the UI so that there is no longer a selection for "single
station" vs. "multiple station" for reports. Now, the application will
figure this out automatically.
Modified the UI to have better date selection. The duration is moved
down to the bottom where the date selection was and now there are
default selections for dates and calendars. If the calendars are used,
the dates can be made relative by checking a box.
Added time slicing support. This allows users to request subsets of
dates for some date range. For example, you can ask for daily data for a
given calendar year and now you can limit the days to only the days of
each month that you are interested in.
Reports can now be output in two different formats. The standard layout
is the same what was available in BETA 2. The "group by month" option,
is a dynamic format that allows users to group all of the columns that
are element related by months. This makes it a lot easier to view large
amounts of data
Now you can have multiple station reports for more than just a single
Performance improvement in retrieval of monthly and semi-monthly
observed streamflow data from the USGS
Added support for retrieving annual data and normals
Modified the dates that display when doing a semi-monthly report to show
1st and 16th instead of 1st and 15th.
When elevation is selected as a metadata column, the units are displayed
in the header instead of in each row
Implemented physical element filtering based on selected stations. Now,
as stations are selected, the list of physical elements gets
automatically filtered to show only the elements that can be selected
for the stations selected. This makes it easier and faster to select
data columns, because the list of physical elements will only contain
Added "MANUAL PRECIPITATION" and "MANUAL SNOTEL" networks to the list of
BETA 2 - April 2011
Completely changed the advanced station selection screen. This was
redesigned to look and work differently. In the previous version,
selecting several sites didn't work very well because it resulted in a
URL that was very long, and the length of the URL was causing problems
in IE and on the server. Now, selecting stations on the advanced station
selection screen results in a query that is encoded in the URL instead
of the full list of stations that results. The new screen allows
stations to be selected using some criteria, but it also allows adding
stations to the selection that don't match the specified criteria.
Improved performance. There is significant performance improvement when
selecting large numbers of stations and across the board performance
Modified the header for the table of selected stations to show the
number of stations that are selected.
Added the ability to search for active sites only on the the advanced
station selection screen
Added the ability to sort selected stations
On the advanced station selection screen, changed the network filter to
a multi-select list of networks so that users don't have to know the
network codes and can instead select from a meaningful list of networks.
On the advanced station selection screen, users can now specify HUCs
that are less than 8 digits without putting the '*' character after the
Fixed bug that was occurring when filtering list of elements
Added a new column "Value Type" called "Collection Date" so that users
can request the collection date for Snow Water Equivalent and Snow Depth
for Snow Course sites.
Renamed the header for the list of selected columns to "Manage Selected
Columns" instead of "Selected Columns"
For multiple station reports, if a user doesn't include one of the
station id, station name or acton id columns, then the application will
automatically add the station id and station name columns to the report
and notify the user that they were added.
If a semi-monthly multiple station report is run, a new column is now
included to indicate which part of the part (1st Half or 2nd Half) that
the data is for.
Some minor report formatting changes were made to improve the appearance
Added a link to release notes for the application
Fixed bug that occurred when a user tried to add a data column when no
element was selected
Removed the single tab on the Advanced Search screen.
BETA 1 - March 2011
Initial release to the public